Friday, November 20, 2009

First Flight

After 4 months of staying and living in Geelong, Kimi would visit Sydney to take part in celebrating Enzo’s 1st birthday. Enzo is hubby’s first cousin and, in fact, Kimi’s uncle. Yes, blood relations can be confusing at times.

I booked our flight early and chose the early flights as usual to maximise our stay. I was excited for Kimi. I know he would be delighted to see a big version of Jayjay the jet plane. However, I saw too many crying babies that the thought of Kimi having difficulty with air pressure also worried me. I shoved the thought away and packed our bags early than usual as this is the first flight I’ll be travelling with a toddler in tow. I packed Kimi’s stuff in my carry on bag to make sure that I got everything he would need – including banana, apple, nuts, raisins, biscuits, and milk to make him eat and chew and release the pressure on his ears and books to pre-occupy him during the waiting time and the 1.5 hour-flight.

On the day, I woke him a little before 4 am just enough time to dress up before the Avalon airport shuttle picked us up. Good enough he woke up in a good mood. He rarely wakes up in a bad mood anyway so it was not really a problem. He stayed awake during the entire wait for boarding, amusing other passengers beside us especially the elder couple a few seats away.


As expected, he was ecstatic to see the Jetstar plane. He was repetitively saying “Jayjay” and “airplane” until we reached our seat. After all the passengers were seated, Kimi started to wind down. Tatay (dad) was preparing the nuts when Kimi positioned himself comfortably on my lap hugging me to sleep. In no less than 2 minutes, he was already in wonderland and woke up 20 minutes before touch down. Upon waking up, he looked at the window and pointed to the beach below saying "water" and "beach" alternately, non-stop, until he got the attention of the passenger next to us. He also marvelled at some of the clouds and mountains. How wonderful it was to see a curious and excited toddler -- both eyes beaming.

Overall, it was a hassle free flight apart from the difficulty of carrying Kimi and some luggages. Kimi was a cooperative travel companion. I guess he sensed it’s not the best place and time to throw a tantrum.

5 comments:

  1. Lovely photo. I recently flew with my kids to Sydney and like yourself we had a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is a cute little fellah.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI, nice to hear some good baby and travel stories! I saw you at AMB and thought I would pop over and take a look. Will hit the follow button for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Travelling with Entropy Boy when he was 1.5 definitely filled me with a keen sense of trepidation before the flight too, but gladly we had an okay time of it. He slept for much of the 28 hours or so - must be the sound of the engines, or the turbulence gently rocking him to sleep :-)

    I can't tell just how old your son is, but I find an ergo-carrier (or similar) is really useful for travelling with little ones. At least it frees your hands up for handing over passports, carrying luggage, etc.

    ReplyDelete