Monday, February 13, 2012

Dahon Tea Lounge: Filipino Restaurant in South Melbourne

Upon learning of the new Filipino restaurant in South Melbourne, my girl friends and I happily agreed to have our next meet up at Dahon Gourmet Tea Lounge. Filipino food is still a mysterious cuisine for many I would think as I have a few work colleagues asking me about it.  I have not known of a Filipino restaurant in Geelong or even in Melbourne which can offer both the food and the ambiance.

It was a different feeling placing our order using the Filipino language. Kimi was quite impressed that the lady at the counter could speak Filipino.

Dahon Tea Lounge1
This board is placed near the door. It easily caught my attention because of the very inviting iced teas and the small Philippine flag, which I think is placed incorrectly. The blue part of the flag should be on the left when you're looking at it. Correct me if my memory is wrong.

Dahon Tea Lounge3

I like the colour schemes as it is very pleasing to the eyes. The round lamps added to the cosy feel of the restaurant.
Dahon Tea Lounge6 

They also have several mounted photos displayed on one side of the restaurant, which I believe showcases Philippine culture and favourite family photos of the owners. The photo of the San Miguel beer was my favourite.

 
Dahon Tea Lounge7

I was also impressed with the bottles of vinegar in the condiments section. This is very Filipino indeed!

Dahon Tea Lounge9 

Kimi and my friends had the citrus iced tea.  I ordered the berry lychee.  Both were really refreshing. My berry lychee had a real lychee in it which I really loved.  Kimi enjoyed the slice of orange in his tea as well. If there is one thing I need to come back to, this would be the gourmet teas. I want to sample each one of the flavours.

Dahon Tea Lounge10 
This is the pork barbecue skewers with java rice and a side of pickled pawpaw (papaya).

Dahon Tea Lounge11 
This is the palabok, which is a noodle dish with a shrimp-based sauce.

Dahon Tea Lounge12 
They also serve escabeche.

Dahon Tea Lounge13 

They offer two variants of lumpia: mini-spring roll with meat inside and the fried vegetable lumpia.


Dahon Tea Lounge14

They also serve halo-halo complete with leche flan and ube (taro) haleya.  This is a very great dessert during hot summer days.

If you want to sample a Filipino dish or you want a quick fix of Filipino food craving, this is a great place to go. Their food suits the Australian palate really well and the service is really good. Plus, make sure to try their gourmet iced teas.

Shop 5, 111 Cecil St.
South Melbourne VIC 3205

Tram tip: Take the tram 112 to St. Kilda at the corner of Spencer St and Collins St. Get off at tram stop 127 at corner York St and Clarendon St. Walk to Cecil St.

No comments:

Post a Comment